Friday, May 7, 2010

Remembering my Moment


South Africa was really one formative moment for me. That moment was visiting Nelson Mandela's cell. I completely changed then. Its funny, I've talked about it so much since returning, but I can't get it out my head. It really did make me a new person. I've always believed that going to South Africa was going to be only an intellectual experience, and I wanted to treat it that way. I refused to give into fun. How could I, when everything around me had such a tragic history?

Here's the thing: I like to avoid problems around me. Call it compartmentalizing. Call it being selfish. Call it moving forward. I don't know what I'd call it yet. I know though, that since my moment I have been making a conscious effort to make a difference to engage in the issues in this world, my personal life, and in the community of Drew University.

I am an activist now. The earthquake struck Haiti while we were abroad, and because of what we saw, I knew I had to do something. I raised money, I donated food, I donated clothes. And I did it for him. For Mandela. Just like I walked with my classmates in the sun, went to a club with them, and finally embraced having a good time in addition to learning. I did those things, those wonderful things, for Mandela, for South Africa. South Africa needs smiles and laughter, and I had to give it to them.

Since returning home, I have become exponentially more outgoing with people, places, things, all nouns outside my comfort zone. And I can't wait to see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment